Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Gesundheit!", "Gesundheit to you!"

So the other day, I was thinking about sneezing. It's pretty funny, but according to wikipedia, "...sneezes spread disease through the infectious aerosol droplets, commonly ranging from 0.5 to 5 µm. 40,000 droplets can be produced by a sneeze.[2]"

Gross.

Sneezing for me is kind of random where I don't have a specific habitual sneeze. I'd say that I probably sneeze a little differently each time I sneeze. But I've learned that this is not the case for a lot of people. There are some people that sneeze in pairs, triples and quads! What I don't understand is if you sneeze, you're trying to clear some kind of irritation, but I'm guessing that a lot of times, just one sneeze will do. I'm starting to think that some people sneeze out of learned behaviour or habit. Thoughts? Keep track of how you sneeze the next couple of times and see if you have a pattern that you follow.

The other discussion that I had was what is the proper etiquette for sneezing? Is it to sneeze into your arms, tissue, or clothes? Or sneeze free into the open air (of course not right at someone)? I'm thinking that you want to promote the sneezing into your arms, tissue, or clothes, but if someone sneezed into the open, I'd promote the idea of sneezing into your arms, tissue, or clothes. Whether this is right or wrong, I don't know, but what I do know is that the first place that people will look for answers is wikipedia so you may as well prepare for the sort of dangers that wikipedia describes to not be a social outcast. Or the next stop is yahoo answers where you can find anything from an anser that sounds right to an answer about your mom.

In other news, when I cough most people think that I sneezed based on the way it sounds. I've gotten many bless you's after I've coughed. I've stopped explaining that it is a cough and just say Thank You.

Thank you to all of you who have said bless you to me.

1 comment:

  1. I sometime sneeze in ones, two's, or three's. At least for me, when I have multiple sneezes, it's because my nose still "itches".

    As a follow on discussion, what about a "Bless You" vs. the many other phrases that you can say after someone sneezes?

    Not related, but would farting out loud in my cube make me a social outcast or does work not count? Also, would that behavior be somewhat acceptable given that my co-workers wouldn't be able to definitively identify my cube as the source of the incident?

    ReplyDelete